Sacred Heart...Over 114 Years of Excellence
In 1908, four sisters of St. Joseph opened Sacred Heart High School. Classes were taught in the basement of a church, while waiting for the completion of a building. With chalk, the basement was divided into four areas, with each sister responsible for one class. There were two graduates in the first class of 1912. Sacred Heart moved to its present location in the fall of 1960.
Over the years, Sacred Heart has established a tradition of excellence in spiritual formation, academics, athletics, and activities. We are proud of preparing young people for leadership and service. Our graduates are found in leadership positions across the nation and world.
We as a school hold a rich tradition in offering a full curriculum with courses in art, business, computers, foreign language, industrial arts, language arts, math, music, physical education, religion, science, social studies and athletics.
Sacred Heart has a long tradition of providing excellent sports programs for the development of students. Over the years the school has amassed more than 40 state championships to go along with countless regional and conference titles.
Sacred Heart is working hard to continue into the twenty-first century. Recent upgrades in technology have given Sacred Heart the opportunity to work with the business community producing technically advanced products for public use.
Interesting Facts In Sacred Heart History
- The original Sacred Heart High School--located at Iron & Ninth Street--was built in 1908 at a cost of $25,000. It included a convent.
- Sacred Heart began serving lunches on October 13, 1947 initiating Salina's first school lunch program.
- A gymnasium was added to the downtown Sacred Heart location in 1956.
- In 1959, the new Sacred Heart High School was built at the Cloud Street location. The building was 63,285 square feet and included a chapel, library, cafeteria, auditorium-gym adequate to enroll 550 students.
- The new Sacred Heart High School, at its present location, officially opened for the 1960-1961 school year.
- In 1998, an Industrial Arts classroom, Lab and bus barn was built west of the school.
- In 2004, parking lots were paved.
- The graduating class of 2011 marked the 100th graduating class--a class of 26 students.
- In 2012, remodeling of the exterior face of the SHHS building occurred. The glass block and single pane windows were replaced with a brick facade and energy efficient windows.
- In 2014, air conditioning was added to the SHHS gymnasium.
- In 2014, a new gymnasium was built connected to St. Mary's School.
- In 2018, energy efficient windows replaced the glass block in the SHHS gym, air conditioning was added to the Chapel, 1:1 chromebooks for the students and carpeting was replaced in the halls.